Corporate crises present significant challenges. Businesses may need to rapidly respond to critical commercial, legal/regulatory, HR and reputational issues. Their actions may be the subject of intense media and political scrutiny, and they may need to act while the facts are still unfolding.
In such crisis situations, businesses need quick, decisive and strategic advice from experts who have been there before.
Our partners have advised on the most complex, challenging and high profile corporate crises to have occurred in Ireland in recent years. We work with Irish and international corporate clients to do everything possible to protect their business and reputation. We have extensive experience in designing and executing the legal elements of a strategy to respond to a crisis, complementing the business objectives and addressing issues such as:
- Helping manage key stakeholder relationships including regulators, suppliers, shareholders and customers whilst ensuring that our client's legal privilege is preserved
- Aligning the business's communications strategy (including with the media, the markets or the authorities) ensuring that required disclosure obligations are met, along with media and other communications which are required for commercial and business reasons. The communications strategy must meet the urgent business need to respond but must also minimise the risk of inaccurate communication and balance competing obligations/risks concerning issues including: market disclosure, defamation, confidentiality, data privacy, regulatory and employment issues and due process rights
- Advising on corporate governance issues relating to the management of the response to (and investigation of) the crisis
- Investigating matters as quickly and cost-efficiently as possible, including managing data, while respecting the rights of those involved and ensuring that the investigation is robust so as to reduce the risk of legal challenge
- Preparing for and defending any related civil, criminal, regulatory or employment litigation
- Assisting with managing any human resources fallout
- Advising on steps to reduce the risk of the crisis recurring and regaining the confidence of stakeholders
We can also provide training to our clients on how to deal with a crisis before it occurs.
the diesel emissions issue
The Football Association of Ireland
complex issues and multiple investigations concerning the Association's financial affairs
Leading financial institutions
resolving tracker mortgage investigations by the Central Bank
The former Chairman of Ireland's largest media organization, INM
corporate governance allegations relating to an acquisition considered by INM and an alleged data breach (all denied)
cross border money laundering investigations involving the Central Bank, the Criminal Assets Bureau and law enforcement agencies in other jurisdictions
a high profile protest by homelessness campaigners seeking to occupy significant commercial premises (Apollo House)