Life Sciences: Experience
CORPORATE and M&A
- Nabriva Therapeutics on the proposed redomicile of its holding company from Austria to Ireland, by means of an exchange offer.
- Sale of Creganna to TE Connectivity for $895m.
- Endo Health Solutions on its $1.6bn acquisition of Paladin Labs and related Corporate Inversion into Ireland; its subsequent acquisition of Auxilium for $2.6bn and of Par Pharmaceuticals for $8.05bn, together with its capital markets fund raising of $2bn and its debt note offering of $1.5bn.
- Aralez Pharmaceuticals on setting up its Irish structure and the subsequent acquisition of various product rights, including Zontivity and Toprol-XL.
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan.
- Medtronic on its $49bn acquisition of Covidien.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals on the reverse takeover of Azur Pharma and corporate inversion of the NASDAQ listed Jazz entity to Ireland.
- Vidara Therapeutics on the acquisition of Irish listed pharmaceutical company AGI Therapeutics and subsequently on its merger with Horizon Pharma.
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan plc.
- UDG on the €407m sale of its pharmaceutical distribution businesses to global pharmaceutical wholesaler McKesson.
- Perrigo Company on its defence of the hostile offer by Mylan N.V.
- Pozen on its proposed acquisition of Tribute Pharmaceuticals and setting up its Irish structure.
- élan on its formal sale process and Perrigo Company's recommended $8.6bn takeover offer.
- élan on its successful defence of the hostile $6.7bn offer by Royalty Pharma for élan.
- GenCell Biosystems on its acquisition by Becton, Dickinson and Company.
- Vidara Therapeutics on the acquisition of Irish listed pharmaceutical company AGI Therapeutics and subsequently on its proposed merger with Horizon Pharma and related inversion to Ireland.
- élan on the sale of EDT to Alkermes Inc and Alkermes' related corporate inversion into Ireland.
- Greatbatch on its acquisition of Lake Region Medical.
- Air Liquide on its acquisition of Baywater Healthcare Ireland.
- Malin on its investments in Immunocore, Altan Pharma 3D4Medical.
- Permira on the acquisition of Creganna Tactx Medical.
- Deutsche Bank as financial adviser on Warner Chilcott's acquisition by Actavis.
- IPOS in its sale of pharmacy interests to UniPhar.
- Catalent Pharma Solutions on its acquisition by Clondalkin Group.
- Icon on its acquisition of Firecrest, Oxford Outcomes and the clinical trials division of Cross Country Healthcare.
- Vention Medical on the acquisition of Ansamed, Ireland’s premier provider of advanced medical tubing solutions.
EQUITY CAPITAL MARKETS
- Malin Corporation plc on its latest private placement equity fundraising (May 2017).
- Perrigo on its acquisition of Omega Pharma and related $1bn equity offering.
- Medtronic on its $49bn acquisition of Covidien and the subsequent $105bn listing of a new Irish holding company (Medtronic plc) on the NYSE.
- Endo on its $2.3bn equity offering.
- Oneview Healthcare on its €40m IPO and admission to the Official List of the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Malin Corporation on its €42m private placement.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals on its IPO on NASDAQ.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals on the $390m secondary offering by certain shareholders and on a $200m share buyback programme on NASDAQ.
- élan on its underwritten disposal of a $550m stake in Alkermes.
- élan on its $1bn “Dutch Auction” tender offer share buyback.
COMMERCIAL CONTRACTS & AGREEMENTS
- Syntec Scientific on its distribution arrangements with Roche Diagnostics.
Various clients in preparing research agreements and collaboration agreements.
- Board of directors of various Irish hospitals and pharma entities on corporate governance, corporate restructuring, commercial contracts and other director related issues.
- Biovail Corporation/Valeant Pharmaceuticals in relation to negotiating a warehousing and distribution agreement with DHL Excel.
- Novartis Animal Health in preparing and negotiating a distribution agreement with Allphar Services Limited.
- Various distributors and agents in relation to termination of multiple distribution and agency agreements.
- An international pharma client in the establishment of various foreign representative officers and branches for overseas distribution.
- A multinational pharma company preparing (i) contract manufacturing and quality agreements for API Contract Manufacturing; (ii) utilities purchase agreements; (iii) amendments to global logistics supplier master agreements; (iv) shared services and manufacturing agreements; and (vi) advising on parallel trade import issues and product labelling requirements.
- Various clients in preparing research agreements and collaboration agreements.
- Royal College of Surgeons on various commercial transactions including a long term outsourced services and intellectual property licensing contract in respect of a new academic medical teaching hospital in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Merit Healthcare on the outsourcing of accommodation for the provision of primary healthcare in Ireland.
- Becton Dickinson a leading global medical technology company on software licensing.
- Baxter Healthcare on the provision of Oncology services based on a concession model, to Antrim Hospital.
- A wide range of pharmaceutical companies in preparing and negotiating wholesale distribution agreements and warehousing and distribution agreements with various parties including Movianto Ireland.
- A pharmaceutical multinational in preparing and negotiating pharmacovigilance agreements with various distributors.
- Boston Scientific on the Irish defence of patent proceedings brought by Edwards Lifesciences PVT in the Commercial Court relating to the infringement of a patent concerning transcatheter heart valves.
- Pfizer in the Irish defence of a complex multi-jurisdictional patent action brought by GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals SA in the Commercial Court relating the infringement of four patents concerning meningitis B vaccines and their commercialisation.
- Baxter Healthcare in the defence of a Commercial Court patent infringement action taken by Fresenius Medical Care relating to a dialysis treatment product.
- Amgen on the Irish stream of its defence of infringement and entitlement High Court proceedings in a multi-jurisdictional pharma patent dispute against Teva Pharma BV.
- AstraZeneca in relation to a significant Commercial Court patent revocation action brought by Teva for a leading asthma drug and a related Supreme Court appeal.
- Abbott Laboratories and Guidant Corporation in their defence of a multi-million euro global claim by Medtronics Corporation relating to the design and development of cardiovascular medical products.
- Aspen Pharmaceuticals Holdings on a legislative compliance project in respect of Aspen Pharmaceutical Trading Ltd. The project involved the preparation of legislative summaries and regulatory compliance check-lists covering all of the legal obligations of the Irish subsidiary in the pharmaceutical regulatory areas, and in other areas including tax, environmental, employment, and competition.
- An international company specialising in the manufacture of vaccines on a compliance matrix, stating the legal and industry requirements in Ireland when interacting with healthcare professionals in the area of consulting, educational events, corporate gifts and donations and sponsorship.
- A multi-national manufacturer of medical devices on all of the regulatory requirements referable to medical devices in the Irish sector.
- An Irish manufacturer of high potency drugs, on a potential regulatory investigation and enforcement action by the Irish Medicines Board as a consequence of allegations made by an employee with regard to the alleged improper use of a potentially teratogenic high potency drug. The Firm also advised on the employment aspects arising in respect of this issue.
- Baxter Healthcare on various regulatory aspects of the regulation of blood and blood products.