Chris Comerford is a Partner in A&L Goodbody's Pensions Group. Chris advises Irish and international corporations and trustees on all aspects of their pension arrangements and in particular on issues arising in scheme restructurings and wind-ups, public and private sector outsourcing, scheme documentation and administration, compliance with pensions legislation, the pensions aspects of mergers and acquisitions and the mediation and litigation of pension disputes and Ombudsman claims.
Areas of Expertise
- UPS on the pensions aspects of its acquisition of Parcel Motel's owner, Nightline Logistics.
- Endo Health Solutions on the pensions aspects of its $1.6bn acquisition of Paladin Labs and related Corporate Inversion into Ireland.
- Carlyle Group on the pensions aspects of its acquisition of Sam McAuley Chemists.
- An international buyer on the pensions law aspects of its acquisition of a specialist packaging and container company, including how to manage issues associated with a number of defined benefit schemes whose trustees were threatening deficit demands on winding-up.
- Employers and trustees of a number of large defined benefit schemes in respect of scheme restructurings, including closing to accrual, extrinsic contracts, section 50 applications and scheme wind-ups.
- Employers and trustees of a number of large defined benefit schemes on the litigation and mediation of pension disputes, including high-profile Commercial Court proceedings.
"Provides an excellent service, quick to respond and provides technical advice that is easy to understand for non-employed trustees and other stakeholders". (Legal 500 2021)
"Next Generation Partner". (Legal 500 2020)
"Next Generation Lawyer." (Legal 500 2019, 2018)
"Good commercial approach…very hard-working and dedicated." (Chambers Europe 2019)
Chris is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers in Ireland.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BBLS, University College Dublin