Conor Owens is a partner and Head of A&L Goodbody's Construction & Engineering group. Conor has over 15 years' experience advising on construction law and construction related litigation / arbitration / mediation / adjudication; procurement contracts and disputes, contract negotiation and drafting; strategic mid-stream advice; insurance coverage disputes; negligence claims; bond claims; general construction claims; litigation; alternative dispute resolution; product liability. His clients include contractors, sub-contractors, public authorities, private owners, sponsors, funders and designers. On the non-contentious side Conor advises contractors, sponsors, developers, funders and designers.
Areas of Expertise
Construction & Engineering/Projects & Infrastructure/Litigation & Dispute Resolution/Arbitration - International & Domestic/Negotiation, Mediation & Expert Determination/Data Centres
- Contractors in arbitrations, mediations and conciliations involving housing developments, office developments, shopping centres, water projects, urban re-development, sports venues, roads and airports.
- Contractors and sub-contractors in the negotiation of construction contracts and associated documents for a variety of large scale developments.
- Galway City Council in a leading case that went successfully to the Supreme Court on termination of construction contracts.
- On one of the largest product liability claims that went before the Irish High Court.
- On disputes arising in the context of PPP projects.
- On issues arising from the regulation of the construction industry, including: disputes in relation to rates of pay, health and safety, certification of works and building regulations.
- Specialist contractors in making claims in the context of mechanical and electrical works.
- On disputes involving the RIAI, IEI, FIDIC, JCT, GCCC and related forms of sub-contract. This includes both design and build and construct only forms of contract.
- On procurement disputes and issues arising from the procurement process. This has included successfully advising and resolving disputes in the High Court.
- On a variety of negligence claims for employers including negligence by consultants and contractors. This also included advising on related insurance coverage disputes
"Conor has a great practical knowledge of the construction industry and a thorough understanding of how construction businesses works. He can hone in on these specifies in order to reach swift, successful conclusions to legal issues as and when possible." (Legal 500 2020)
"He has an intricate understanding of how the construction industry operates." (Chambers Europe 2020)
"An absolutely brilliant lawyer." (Chambers Europe 2019)
"Conor is the sort of character you'd like to have in your corner." (Chambers Europe 2018)