Conor Owens is a partner and Head of A&L Goodbody's Construction & Engineering group. Conor has over 15 years' experience advising on construction law and construction related litigation / arbitration / mediation / adjudication; procurement contracts and disputes, contract negotiation and drafting; strategic mid-stream advice; insurance coverage disputes; negligence claims; bond claims; general construction claims; litigation; alternative dispute resolution; product liability. His clients include contractors, sub-contractors, public authorities, private owners, sponsors, funders and designers. On the non-contentious side Conor advises contractors, sponsors, developers, funders and designers.
Areas of Expertise
- Contractors in arbitrations, mediations and conciliations involving housing developments, office developments, shopping centres, water projects, urban re-development, sports venues, roads and airports.
- Contractors and sub-contractors in the negotiation of construction contracts and associated documents for a variety of large scale developments.
- Galway City Council in a leading case that went successfully to the Supreme Court on termination of construction contracts.
- On one of the largest product liability claims that went before the Irish High Court.
- On disputes arising in the context of PPP projects.
- On issues arising from the regulation of the construction industry, including: disputes in relation to rates of pay, health and safety, certification of works and building regulations.
- Specialist contractors in making claims in the context of mechanical and electrical works.
- On disputes involving the RIAI, IEI, FIDIC, JCT, GCCC and related forms of sub-contract. This includes both design and build and construct only forms of contract.
- On procurement disputes and issues arising from the procurement process. This has included successfully advising and resolving disputes in the High Court.
- On a variety of negligence claims for employers including negligence by consultants and contractors. This also included advising on related insurance coverage disputes