David McElroy is a partner in A&L Goodbody's Energy, Infrastructure & Natural Resources group. David has over twelve years' experience advising financial institutions, institutional investors and developers on all aspects of project, infrastructure and PPP finance across a wide range of asset classes, including roads, electricity interconnectors, renewable energy projects and social infrastructure. He has advised on over €1.5bn worth of energy and infrastructure transactions in the Irish market and close to £2bn worth of energy transactions in the UK.
Areas of Expertise
- A syndicate of lenders, including the European Investment Bank, Barclays Bank Ireland plc, BNP Paribas and Danske Bank A/S on the €800m financing of the Celtic Interconnector.
- The lenders in respect of the financing of the N25 Waterford By-Pass.
- The sponsors in respect of the individual refinancing of a portfolio of four wind farms with a debt value of €193m and an aggregate capacity of 156MW.
- Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c and La Banque Postale on the acquisition and project financing of one of the largest solar farms under construction in Ireland.
- A lender group, including the European Investment Bank, MUFG Bank, Ltd., BNP Paribas Fortis and AIB, on the €150m project financing of the 89MW Oweninny wind farm.
- The lenders on the €500m financing of the Greenlink Interconnector, linking the Irish and British energy markets.
- The lender on the financing of the energy efficiency retrofitting of St James's Hospital, Dublin.
- The sponsors on a c.€86m financing of the 54MW Carrigdangan wind farm in Co. Cork.
- BlackRock on its disposal of the Monaincha and Garranereagh wind farms located in Co. Tipperary and Co. Cork.
- On Irish law aspects of a loan facility advanced by a German financial institution for the purposes of the construction of student accommodation in Dublin.
"David McElroy was very precise and gave us a lot of relevant advice during the documentation process." (Legal 500 2022)
"We really appreciate David McElroy – he has done excellent work for us this year." (Legal 500 2022)
"Rising Star." (Legal 500 2022)
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales
- LLM, The London School of Economics and Political Science
- BBLS, University College Dublin