David Widger is the Managing Partner of A&L Goodbody. Prior to his appointment as Managing Partner, David spent over 12 years as Head of the firm's Corporate Department.
David is a specialist M&A and corporate finance lawyer, with a wide range of domestic and international transactional and strategic advisory experience. David has advised and led on some of the largest and most high profile Irish corporate M&A deals and is recognised as one of the country’s leading corporate lawyers by global legal publications including Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, The Legal 500, IFLR and Who’s Who Legal.
Areas of Expertise
Corporate and M&A/Life Sciences/Capital Markets – Equity/Corporate Governance/Corporate Advisory & Company Law
- UDG Healthcare plc on its £2.8bn takeover by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. (Finance Dublin Public M&A Deal of the Year 2022)
- Causeway Consortium (comprising the Applegreen founders and Blackstone) on their recommended takeover of Applegreen plc. (Finance Dublin Public M&A Deal of the Year 2020)
- Henderson Park on its €1.34bn recommended public takeover of Green REIT plc.
- Euronext on its acquisition of the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Glenveagh Properties plc on its €550m IPO on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges.
- Sumitomo Corporation on its €751m recommended public takeover of Fyffes plc (Finance Dublin Public M&A Deal of the Year 2017).
- Verizon Communications on its recommended public takeover of Fleetmatics Group plc for $2.4bn (European Corporate Deal of the Year - The Lawyer 2017).
- UDG on the €407m sale of its pharmaceutical distribution businesses to global pharmaceutical wholesaler McKesson.
- Heaven Hill Brands on its US$165m acquisition of Carolans and Irish Mist brands from Campari.
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan.
- Citibank on the Crossborder merger of Citibank International and Citibank Europe.
- Telefónica on its sale of Telefónica O2 Ireland to Hutchison Whampoa Group.
"David is great at forming relationships and is able to see the commercial side of all issues." (Chambers Global 2022)
"Excellent corporate lawyer...he is strong, experienced and responsive." (Chambers Global 2018)
"Lauded by clients for his pragmatism, commercial acumen, creative thinking and great way with people." (Chambers Global 2017)
"An excellent lawyer and in particular is very good at cutting through the legal issues to the commercial elements...he gets a very good balance between ensuring the legalities are correct but also making sure you get a deal done." (IFLR1000)
"David Widger has excellent business acumen." (Legal 500)
"David is phenomenal." (Who's Who Legal)
David sits on the Advisory Board of the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School and contributes to many publications such as the Irish chapter of The Private Equity Review.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL, University College Dublin