David Widger is Head of the Firm's Corporate and M&A practice. His key areas of expertise include M&A, corporate finance, corporate governance, private equity, joint ventures, venture capital, corporate restructurings, capital markets, securities law and commercial contractual arrangements. David's practice involves advising a wide range of Irish and international public and private corporations, financial institutions, insurance companies, private equity and venture capital funds on all legal aspects of their corporate affairs.
Areas of Expertise
Corporate and M&A/Private Equity & Venture Capital/Life Sciences/Capital Markets – Equity/Privacy & Data Security/Commercial Contracts/Commercial & Technology/Corporate Governance & Compliance/Food, Drink & Agri
- Causeway Consortium (comprising the Applegreen founders and Blackstone) on their recommended takeover of Applegreen plc.
- Henderson Park on its €1.34bn recommended public takeover of Green REIT plc.
- Euronext on its acquisition of the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Glenveagh Properties plc on its €550m IPO on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges.
- Sumitomo Corporation on its €751m recommended public takeover of Fyffes plc (Finance Dublin Public M&A Deal of the Year 2017).
- Verizon Communications on its recommended public takeover of Fleetmatics Group plc for $2.4bn (European Corporate Deal of the Year - The Lawyer 2017).
- UDG on the €407m sale of its pharmaceutical distribution businesses to global pharmaceutical wholesaler McKesson.
- Heaven Hill Brands on its US$165m acquisition of Carolans and Irish Mist brands from Campari.
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan.
- Citibank on the Crossborder merger of Citibank International and Citibank Europe.
- Telefónica on its sale of Telefónica O2 Ireland to Hutchison Whampoa Group.
"Excellent corporate lawyer...he is strong, experienced and responsive." (Chambers Global 2018)
"Lauded by clients for his pragmatism, commercial acumen, creative thinking and great way with people." (Chambers Global 2017)
"Excellent business acumen" (Legal 500, ranked a leading individual and a Hall of Fame member 2018)
"An excellent lawyer and in particular is very good at cutting through the legal issues to the commercial elements...he gets a very good balance between ensuring the legalities are correct but also making sure you get a deal done." (IFLR1000)
David sits on the Advisory Board of the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School and contributes to many publications such as the Irish chapter of The Private Equity Review.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL, University College Dublin