Keith Mulhern is a partner and a key member of the Aviation & Transport Finance practice of A&L Goodbody. He has provided exceptional advice on a broad range of complex, innovative and award-winning transactions for important clients over several years. Keith graduated with a Master of Laws degree from the University of Cambridge and is known for having excellent legal and technical skills, a practical and commercial approach to transactions and a calm demeanour. He has acted for a wide range of aviation clients including leasing companies, airlines, banks, manufacturers, funds and credit support providers. He has extensive experience acting on a variety of aviation financing and leasing products and structures including operating leases, finance leases, sale and leasebacks, JOLCO structures, debt finance (bilateral, syndicated and warehouse facilities), capital markets issuances (secured ABS and unsecured perpetual bonds), pre-delivery payment financing, Islamic financing, joint ventures/side cars, export credit agency supported financing and AFIC/Balthazar supported financing.
Areas of Expertise
- BNP Paribas and a group of syndicated lenders on the new investment in and restructuring of the financing of a portfolio of 37 aircraft in relation to the NAC Chapter 11.
- Sculptor Capital Management on its Solrr 2021-1 asset-backed securitisation for the acquisition of a portfolio of 22 aircraft.
- Vmo Aircraft Leasing on the establishment of its Irish aircraft leasing platform, its initial aircraft acquisitions and its inaugural US$600m warehouse facility.
- Several financiers and leasing companies in connection with the Irish Examinership of Norwegian Air Shuttle and its affiliates.
- Castlelake on its CLAS 2021-1 asset-backed securitisation of a portfolio of 26 commercial aircraft and one freighter, the first ABS transaction to successfully close since the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NCB Capital on the establishment of its Dara Aviation platform and its acquisition and Islamic financing of a portfolio of 19 aircraft using a Murabaha structure.
- AFIC and US Ex-Im on the first joint AFIC and ECA supported financing of a corporate jet for Vea Jet and ABS.
- Alternative lending platform, Valkyrie, on its financing of five Airbus A320/A330 aircraft with an Asian aircraft leasing company.
- China Aircraft Leasing on its first aircraft investment sidecar, CAG.
- Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing on the acquisition of Waypoint Leasing.
'A Rising Star' (Airfinance Journal 2021)
Keith has lectured on both the Law Society of Ireland's Diploma and Certificate in Aviation Leasing & Finance and on the Banking and Finance Module of the Professional Practice Course in the Law Society of Ireland. He also represents the firm on the International Registry Advisory Board and works actively on a number of projects of the Legal Advisory Panel to the Aviation Working Group.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- Diploma in Corporate Law and Governance, Law Society of Ireland
- Master of Laws (Cantab)
- Bachelor of Civil Law, University of Galway