Laura Mulleady is a partner in A&L Goodbody's Corporate and M&A practice, specialising in insurance. Her practice is focused on advising domestic and cross-border insurers, reinsurers, captives and intermediaries on all aspects of non-contentious insurance and reinsurance regulation and transactions. In recent times, Laura has been particularly involved with business transfers and amalgamations involving insurers and reinsurers and in advising on Brexit-related projects. Laura was named in the global list 'IFLR1000 Women Leaders 2022'.
Areas of Expertise
- Numerous major insurers and reinsurers on Brexit-related solutions, portfolio transfers, restructurings, domestic and cross-border mergers.
- Liberty Mutual on the cross border merger of its Irish insurer into the group's Spanish insurer
- Zurich Insurance Group on various restructurings and on the disposal of non-core insurance businesses.
- Zurich Insurance Group on its acquisition of Blue Insurance
- Bupa on the establishment and authorisation of an international health insurer in Ireland
- Carlyle Cardinal on its acquisition of AA Ireland Limited and subsidiaries from AA Corporation Limited.
- Talanx on the conversion of its Irish reinsurer to a European company (SE).
- Motorola on the domestic amalgamation (under the Companies Act 2014) of its Irish captive insurer and reinsurer.
- Guardian Financial Services on the acquisition of Ark Life.
- XL Group on the first combined portfolio transfer and cross-border merger ever conducted in Ireland and on several subsequent SE formations and other large projects.
"A trusted and valued advisor. Laura has a practical and commercial approach and is highly responsive, pro-active and engaging." (Legal 500 2022)
"Practical in her advice and very hard-working." (Chambers Europe 2021)
"A go-to partner on regulatory matters. She has extremely good judgement and excels in identifying issues which will be of concern to regulators and advising clients on how best to navigate their course to achieve their goals." (Legal 500 2021)
"Laura Mulleady is an exceptional partner: intuitive, technically brilliant and a pleasure to work with." (Legal 500 2020)
Laura has had several articles on various insurance topics published and has also lectured and presented in Ireland and abroad on a range of insurance topics over the last number of years.
- AITI, Irish Tax Institute, (non-practising)
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL (European), University College Dublin