Michael Barr is a Partner in A&L Goodbody's Asset Management & Investment Funds Group and focuses on various aspects of mutual funds law and regulation and on the establishment, authorisation and listing of funds in Ireland. He is currently involved in advising clients on all aspects of both the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and UCITS V as well as related issues.
Michael advises on the setting-up of various types of UCITS and Irish alternative investment funds. He has also set up various unregulated structures and works with fund service providers in connection with custody, administration, prime brokerage and other service agreements.
Areas of Expertise
- Oaktree Capital and Targeted Investment Opportunities plc in relation to the conversion of Targeted Investment Opportunities from a public limited company to an ICAV and appointing an external AIFM.
- M&G on their two Irish QIAIF investment companies, one ICAV and one CCF, each of which have multiple sub-funds.
- Prudential South Africa on the establishment of a RIAIF ICAV platform with eight sub-funds and the establishment and set up of an AIFM which acts as such to the RIAIF ICAV.
- AGF Investments on the establishment of its AGF Precious Metals Securities Fund, a UCITS fund seeking exposure to securities of commodity companies.
- Hibernia REIT, Ireland’s second REIT, on all Irish asset management and regulatory aspects of its launch, second round funding and conversion to an internally managed AIFM.
- Majedie Asset Management in respect of its UCITS fund.
- Kames Capital in connection with its Irish UCITS platform.
- LBBW Asset Management in respect of the authorisation of the first Irish platinum and palladium fund.
- Carlyle Group in setting up a Qualifying Investor Fund focusing on debt assets.
- Smith & Williamson in respect of its Irish UCITS fund range.
"Highlighted for his very good knowledge and adaptability." (Chambers Global 2018)
"Very knowledgeable...who expresses his views very well, giving clear guidance." (Chambers Global 2017)
"Absolutely brilliant, hard-working and trustworthy." (Chambers Europe 2016)
"The outstanding Michael Barr." (Legal 500 2015)
Michael is a member of the AIF Product Development Steering Group of Irish Funds (the industry representative body) and has served on Irish Funds' committees for over eight years. He has been published on a number of legal topics.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL, University College Dublin