Patrick Brandt is a partner and head of A&L Goodbody's Financial Regulation team. Before joining ALG, Patrick led Skadden Arps London office's financial regulatory group.
Patrick has extensive experience advising a wide variety of banks, payment institutions, asset managers, brokers and intermediaries on non-contentious and contentious regulatory issues. Patrick also spent time as a regulator, having worked in the UK Financial Services Authority's enforcement division.
Areas of Expertise
- HSBC International as underwriters to HSBC Holdings' issue of regulatory capital and TLAC debt securities
- Vantiv, Inc. in respect of its takeover of Worldpay
- PayPal in respect of its acquisitions of iZettle and Hyperwallet
- Royal Bank of Scotland with regulatory approval requirements that arose from the sale of its interest in Tesco Bank to Tesco
- BlackRock in relation to its purchase of MGPA, Macquarie’s real estate funds business
- BlackRock in relation to its purchase of Credit Suisse’s ETF business based in Ireland, Luxembourg and Switzerland
- XL Group on its acquisition of Catlin Group and its subsequent re-domestication from Ireland to Bermuda
- Janus Capital on the regulatory aspects of its merger with Henderson Global Investors
- Banks and investment managers on a variety of issues arising from the remuneration requirements found in CRD IV, the AIFMD and MIFID. Advising an international banking group on the application of the EU bonus cap to its operations
- Issuers and underwriters on the application of the Market Abuse Regulation to their capital raising plans
“Intelligent, thorough, knowledgeable and commercial...wide breadth of regulatory skills and knowledge and excellent customer-service ethic." (Chambers UK)
Patrick is active in the market place speaking at numerous conferences and has authored a number of publications.
- M.A. (Hons), Jurisprudence, University of Oxford
- Bar Finals, Inns of Court School of Law
- Solicitor, England & Wales