Sinéad Lynch is a partner in A&L Goodbody's Corporate practice, specialising in Insurance & Reinsurance. Her experience covers a wide range of aspects of insurance and reinsurance law and regulation. These include the set up and authorisation of insurers, reinsurers and insurance intermediaries, ongoing regulation, provision of cross-border services. Sinéad also advises on the full spectrum of advisory and transactional matters, which include the sale/purchase/transfer of insurance companies/businesses and restructurings. She has been involved in a large number of domestic and cross-border portfolio transfers. Sinéad is a member of the firm's ESG & Sustainability Steering Group and advises on a wide range of ESG and sustainability-related topics. Sinéad was named in the global list 'IFLR1000 Women Leaders' 2022 and 2023.
Areas of Expertise
- Phoenix Group on establishment and authorisation of a new Irish life insurer and an intra-group transfer to that insurer of business from the group's UK insurers.
- Aviva Group on the disposal of French and Italian businesses to Aéma Groupe and CNP Assurances.
- Friends First on the proposed portfolio transfer and wider business combination of its two Irish life assurance operations.
- Aviva in relation to the sale of its health insurer, Aviva Health, to Irish Life.
- XL Group on the re-domiciliation of its ultimate holding company from Ireland to Bermuda.
- ACE Group on the combination of its Irish and UK non-life insurance operations.
- Aviva on the transfer of the life assurance business of its Irish life assurer (Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland) to its UK life assurer (Aviva Life & Pensions UK).
- UBS on the transfer of a high value part of the life assurance business of an Irish authorised life insurer to a third party life undertaking based in France.
- Financially regulated companies in relation to administrative sanctions actions taken by the Central Bank of Ireland as well as regulatory enforcement issues and other contentious and potentially contentious matters.
"Next Generation Partner." (Legal 500 2022 and 2021)
"Highly regarded." (IFLR1000 2022, 2021, 2020 & 2019)
"Rising Star." (Expert Guide Rising Stars 2021)
Sinéad has been a contributor author to the European Lawyer Reference Series book 'Insurance & Reinsurance Law and Regulation'; has had a number of articles on insurance topics published; has lectured in the Law Society of Ireland and has presented on a range of insurance law and regulation topics at seminars (both in Ireland and across Europe) over the last number of years.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- LLM Commercial Law, University College Dublin
- BCL, University College Dublin