Sinéad Lynch is a partner in the Corporate and M&A practice, specialising in insurance. Sinéad’s experience covers a wide range of aspects of insurance and reinsurance law and regulation. These include the set up and authorisation of insurers, reinsurers and insurance intermediaries, ongoing regulation, provision of cross-border services. She also advises on the full spectrum of advisory and transactional matters, which include the sale/purchase/transfer of insurance companies/businesses and restructurings. Sinéad has been involved in a large number of domestic and cross-border portfolio transfers. Sinéad was named in the global list 'IFLR1000 Women Leaders 2022'.
Areas of Expertise
- Friends First on the proposed portfolio transfer and wider business combination of its two Irish life assurance operations.
- Aviva in relation to the sale of its health insurer, Aviva Health, to Irish Life.
- XL Group on the re-domiciliation of its ultimate holding company from Ireland to Bermuda.
- ACE Group on the combination of its Irish and UK non-life insurance operations.
- Aviva on the transfer of the life assurance business of its Irish life assurer (Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland) to its UK life assurer (Aviva Life & Pensions UK).
- UBS on the transfer of a high value part of the life assurance business of an Irish authorised life insurer to a third party life undertaking based in France.
- Danica Group on the life insurance portfolio transfer from its Irish life insurer to its Danish life insurer.
- In relation to numerous transfers of captive insurance portfolios, including for the Vodafone, Alcatel-Lucent, BMW, Procter & Gamble, Dow and Scottish Power Groups.
- Financially regulated companies in relation to administrative sanctions actions taken by the Central Bank of Ireland, including actions taken against Combined International Insurance; as well as regulatory enforcement issues and other contentious and potentially contentious matters.
- CNP Europe Life on an innovative longevity risk transfer arrangement with Coca-Cola involving a novel structure.
"Next Generation Partner." (Legal 500 2022 and 2021)
"Highly regarded." (IFLR1000 2022, 2021, 2020 & 2019)
"Rising Star." (Expert Guide Rising Stars 2021)
Sinéad has been a contributor author to the European Lawyer Reference Series book 'Insurance & Reinsurance Law and Regulation'; has had a number of articles on insurance topics published; has lectured in the Law Society of Ireland and has presented on a range of insurance law and regulation topics at seminars (both in Ireland and across Europe) over the last number of years.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- LLM Commercial Law, University College Dublin
- BCL, University College Dublin