Insurance M&A: Experience
Recent general insurance / reinsurance M&A experience
- Riverstone on the acquisition of Catalina Insurance.
- Liberty Mutual on the Irish aspects of the sale of its West European Markets general insurance business to Generali for €2.3bn in 2023.
- Liberty Mutual on the Irish aspects of its acquisition of AmTrust's global surety business.
- Zurich Life on the sale of a portfolio of investment policies to Monument Life Insurance DAC.
- Zurich Insurance plc on the sale of a portfolio of German architects and engineers' professional indemnity policies to DARAG Deutsche Versicherungs-und Rückversicherungs AG.
- DAS Group on all Irish aspects of the sale of all the business and assets of its Irish branch to the Irish branch of ARAG Allgemeine Versicherungs-AG.
- China Re on its acquisition of Chaucer Insurance.
- GE on the disposal of its captive insurer Electric Insurance Ireland DAC to R&Q.
- Achmea on the sale of Friends First to Aviva.
- Aegon on the sale of Aegon Ireland to Athora.
- Banco BPM and Cattolica on the acquisition by Cattolica of a majority stake in Vera Financial.
- LCCG / Oaktree on its acquisition of Generali Pan Europe.
- XL Group on its $4.2bn acquisition of Catlin Group.
- UBS on the sale of UBS International Life (now Octium International Life) to the Havilland Group.
- Aviva and AIB on the sale of Aviva Health to Irish Life.
Recent insurance distribution M&A experience
- AIG/Corebridge on the sale of Laya Healthcare.
- Arthur J. Gallagher on its acquisition of First Ireland Risk Management.
- Arthur J. Gallagher on its entry into the Irish market via the acquisition of Innovu Insurance.
- Agria on the acquisition of Capstone Financial Services Limited trading as Petinsure.ie.
- Livingbridge on its acquisition of a majority stake in Chill Insurance.
- Ardonagh Group on its acquisition of Arachas Corporate Brokers.
- Cardinal Carlyle on its acquisition of AA Ireland and on its later subsequent disposal of AA Ireland to Further Global.
- AIG on its acquisition of Laya Insurance.
- Zurich on its acquisition of Blue Insurance.
- Prestige Insurance on its acquisition of Autoline in Northern Ireland.