Alan Casey is Head of the New York office which assists North American corporations and clients on transactions and investments in and through Ireland. Alan was previously based in the firm's Dublin office. He is a member of the firm's Corporate and M&A practice and advises leading Irish and multi-national public and private companies across a broad range of Mergers & Acquisitions, Governance and Equity Capital Markets issues. Alan has advised on many of the largest corporate transactions in Irish history, was shortlisted for Transatlantic Dealmaker of the Year 2017, and is listed as a Leading Lawyer in both M&A and Equity Capital Markets by several publications including IFLR1000, Chambers Global and Legal 500.
Areas of Expertise
- Johnson Controls Inc. on its $20bn merger with Tyco plc.
- Adient plc on various matters including its $5bn spin-off from Johnson controls plc.
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan plc.
- Perrigo Company plc on various matters including its successful defence of the $27bn hostile offer by Mylan N.V., its $2.7bn sale of Tysabri to Royalty Pharma.
- Medtronic Inc. on its $49bn acquisition of Covidien plc.
- Prothena Corporation plc on various matters including its spin-off from elan and several NASDAQ equity raises totalling over $400m.
- élan on Perrigo Company's recommended $8.6bn takeover offer, its successful defence of the hostile $6.7bn offer by Royalty Pharma, the $1bn merger of its Elan Drug Technologies business with Alkermes Inc and Johnson & Johnson’s US$885mn equity investment in élan and related $500mn investment in élan's Alzheimers Immunotherapy Programme.
- Eaton Corporation on its $13bn offer for Cooper Industries plc.
- Endo International plc on various matters including its $2.6bn acquisition of Auxilium Pharmaceuticals and its $1.6bn acquisition of Paladin Labs.
- Ryanair in its acquisition of a 29% stake in Aer Lingus and its multiple takeover offers.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals in its combination with Azur Pharma creating a $2bn specialty biopharmaceutical company based in Ireland.
- EBS Building Society in respect of its combination with Allied Irish Banks
- Various Investment Banks as Underwriters, Lead Global Arrangers etc on numerous equity capital markets transactions.
- Many unnamed Irish plcs on shareholder activism defence mandates and governance matters generally.
"Very practical adviser who provides solutions." (Chambers Global 2018)
"Shortlisted for Transatlantic Dealmaker of the Year 2017." (American Lawyer Transatlantic Legal Awards 2017)
"Recommended Lawyer." (Legal 500 2017)
"Noted as a leading lawyer for his expertise on advising US companies on investments into Ireland." (Chambers Global 2017)
Alan is a member of the Law Society of Ireland and the American Bar Association and is a contributor to many publications on private and public company M&A and securities laws.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL, University College Dublin