Paul Fahy is Head of the Firm's Tax Department. A&L Goodbody's Tax Department has been consistently ranked as a leading tax practice in the Irish market and was recognised as "Irish Tax Firm of the Year 2017" by the International Tax Review.
Paul specialises in corporate tax and has extensive experience of advising clients on the tax aspects of public and private mergers & acquisitions, group restructurings, inward investment projects, real estate transactions, securitisations, derivatives and structured products. Paul's experience spans across a wide range of industries including pharmaceutical and healthcare, real estate and financial services.
Paul previously worked in London for Slaughter and May.
Areas of Expertise
- Nabriva Therapeutics on the redomicile of its holding company from Austria to Ireland and its listing on NASDAQ.
- Verizon Communications on its public takeover of Fleetmatics Group plc for $2.4bn.
- Johnson Controls Inc. on its merger with Tyco plc and the subsequent spin-off of its automotive business to a separate NYSE listed entity (Adient plc).
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan plc.
- Endo International plc on a number of transactions including its acquisition of Paladin Labs Inc and related redomicile to Ireland, its acquisition of Auxilium Pharmaceuticals in a cash and stock transaction valued at $2.6bn and its acquisition of Par Pharmaceuticals in a cash and stock transaction valued at $8bn.
- Medtronic, Inc on its $49bn acquisition of Covidien plc.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc on two separate exchangeable note offerings with a combined principal amount of in excess of $1bn.
- Jose Cuervo on the acquisition of the Old Bushmills Distillery from Diageo.
- Elan Pharmaceuticals plc on a number of transactions including on its formal sales process culminating in Perrigo Company's recommended $8.6bn takeover offer and the spin-off of its early stage R&D business to a separate listed NASDAQ entity (Prothena Corporation plc).
- Eaton Corporation on its $13bn acquisition of Cooper Industries plc.
"Highly responsive, extremely knowledgeable and able to provide advice on the spot." (Chambers Europe 2017)
"Ability to deal with significant complexity in cross-border tax transactions and his intellectual approach." (Chambers Europe 2016)
"Encyclopaedic knowledge of US law." (Chambers Global 2014)
Highly rated and highly proficient. (Who’s Who Legal 2012 and 2013)
Paul has contributed on tax matters to a number of leading legal and tax publications. These include the tax section of the Irish Chapter of a text book on European Cross-Border Mergers and Reorganisations published by Oxford University Press. Paul is a member of the Law Society of Ireland and the American Bar Association.
- Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales (non-practicing)
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- LLB, NUI Galway
- B Corporate Law, NUI Galway
- Associate of the Irish Taxation Institute