Paul Fahy is Head of the Firm's Tax Department.
Paul specialises in corporate tax and has extensive experience of advising clients on the tax aspects of public and private mergers & acquisitions, group restructurings, inward investment projects, real estate transactions, securitisations, derivatives and structured products.
Paul's practice also covers contentious tax matters and he has extensive experience advising clients in relation to Irish Revenue audits, disputing tax assessments (both before the Irish Tax Appeals Commission and the Irish Courts) and tax treaty dispute resolution mechanisms.
Paul's experience spans across a wide range of industries including pharmaceutical and healthcare, technology, real estate and financial services.
Paul previously worked in London for Slaughter and May.
Areas of Expertise
Tax/Investing in Ireland/Corporate and M&A/Financial Solutions/Finance/FinTech/Tax Disputes & Enquiries
- Multiple clients on all phases of tax disputes from managing audit engagements and tax information requests to strategic litigation advice.
- Multiple clients on transfer pricing disputes including the preparation and submission of mutual agreement procedure (MAP) applications to the Irish Competent Authority.
- ICON plc on its $12bn acquisition of PRA Health Sciences.
- Xeris Pharmaceuticals Inc on its acquisition of Strongbridge Biopharma plc.
- Nabriva Therapeutics on the redomicile of its holding company from Austria to Ireland and its listing on NASDAQ.
- Verizon Communications on its public takeover of Fleetmatics Group plc for $2.4bn.
- Johnson Controls Inc. on its merger with Tyco plc and the subsequent spin-off of its automotive business to a separate NYSE listed entity (Adient plc).
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan plc.
- Endo International plc on a number of transactions including its acquisition of Paladin Labs Inc and related redomicile to Ireland, its acquisition of Auxilium Pharmaceuticals in a cash and stock transaction valued at $2.6bn and its acquisition of Par Pharmaceuticals in a cash and stock transaction valued at $8bn.
- Medtronic, Inc on its $49bn acquisition of Covidien plc.
"A technically excellent lawyer who is brilliant with clients." (Chambers Europe 2021)
"Widely considered to be an expert on corporate tax." (Chambers Europe 2019)
"Highly responsive, extremely knowledgeable and able to provide advice on the spot." (Chambers Europe 2017)
"Ability to deal with significant complexity in cross-border tax transactions and his intellectual approach." (Chambers Europe 2016)
Paul has contributed on tax matters to a number of leading legal and tax publications. These include the tax section of the Irish Chapter of a text book on European Cross-Border Mergers and Reorganisations published by Oxford University Press. Paul is a member of the Law Society of Ireland and the American Bar Association.
- Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales (non-practicing)
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- LLB, NUI Galway
- B Corporate Law, NUI Galway
- Associate of the Irish Taxation Institute