Paul is a specialist in corporate and commercial law including equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and corporate finance. He also regularly advises Boards on corporate governance and compliance issues. In addition to being a Partner in the Corporate practice, Paul served as Chairman of A&L Goodbody from 2010 until 2016; was Head of the Corporate practice between 2004 and 2010 and managed the London office from 1999 to 2004. He also carries management responsibility for a number of the Firm's key relationships.
Areas of Expertise
Corporate and M&A/Corporate Governance & Compliance/Capital Markets – Equity/Private Equity & Venture Capital/Energy, Infrastructure & Natural Resources /Financial Regulation/Commercial Contracts/Finance/FinTech/Public Procurement/Hospitals & Healthcare
- The Joint Global Co-ordinators on the re IPO of AIB and the related sale by the Department of Finance of c.25% of their shareholding in AIB.
- Irish Government/NewERA on the sale of Bord Gais Energy.
- Dalata Hotel Group on its dual listing on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges (ESM and AIM) and various equity fundraisings, on its reverse takeover of the Moran Bewley Group, its acquisition of Choice Hotel Group, and its acquisition of the Burlington Hotel.
- Hg Funds and Fixarra on their disposal of a majority interest in Invis Energy.
- Permanent TSB Group on its re-IPO by way of primary equity placing, secondary equity placing, and re-admission of all ordinary shares to trading on the main markets of the Irish and London Stock Exchanges, together with the buy back of Irish Government subscribed contingent capital notes.
- Cairn Homes on its IPO and admission to trading on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, its listing on the Irish Stock Exchange and various subsequent equity fundraisings.
- Hibernia REIT on its dual primary/premium listing on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges (Main Markets) and various equity fundraisings.
- Major financial institutions, listed public companies on corporate governance and regulatory codes, and proceedings before the Central Bank of Ireland.
- Oneview Healthcare on its IPO and admission to the Official List of the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Irelandia Investments on local and international joint ventures, particularly in relation to the establishment, and capital markets activities regarding, low cost carrier airlines internationally.
"Understands the commercial issues and he is thoughtful, reflective and calm." (Chambers Global 2019)
"Exceptional lawyer with great commercial and legal abilities...his knowledge of technical and commercial realities is very strong." (Chambers Global 2018)
"A very experienced lawyer. He displays very sound judgment and commercial understanding.” (IFLR1000 2018)
"Top-class for capital markets...very accomplished, very articulate: good commercially and technically. Very calming, competent, a good communicator, efficient and proactive." (Chambers Global 2017)
Paul has written articles and contributed to international publications on Corporate Governance, Corporate Law in Ireland and Mergers and Acquisitions. He is also a regular speaker on those topics. Paul is a former Vice-Chair of the Corporate and M&A Law Committee of the International Bar Association and a representative member of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL, University College Dublin