Paul is a specialist in corporate and commercial law including equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and corporate finance. He also regularly advises Boards on corporate governance and compliance issues. In addition to being a Partner in the Corporate practice, Paul served as Chairman of A&L Goodbody from 2010 until 2016; was Head of the Corporate practice between 2004 and 2010 and managed the London office from 1999 to 2004. He also carries management responsibility for a number of the Firm's key relationships.
Areas of Expertise
Corporate and M&A/Capital Markets – Equity/Energy, Infrastructure & Natural Resources /Financial Regulation/Commercial Contracts/Finance/FinTech/Public Procurement/Hospitals & Healthcare/Corporate Advisory & Company Law/Companies Act 2014/PLC Advisory & Governance
- HealthBeacon PLC on its IPO and associated equity placement.
- Hibernia REIT PLC, Cairn Homes PLC, Oneview Healthcare PLC and Dalata Hotel Group PLC on their IPO and subsequent equity fundraisings.
- Permanent TSB Group PLC on its re-IPO by way of €412m primary equity placing, €98m secondary equity placing, and re-admission of all ordinary shares to trading on the main markets of the Irish and London Stock Exchanges.
- Joint global co-ordinators on the Allied Irish Banks PLC re-IPO and admission to the official lists of the Irish and London Stock Exchanges.
- Hibernia REIT PLC on its recommended takeover offer.
- Etchingham/Barrett/Blackstone Infrastructure on the acquisition of Applegreen PLC.
- Hg Funds and Fixarra on their disposal of a majority interest in Invis Energy (wind).
- Asper Funds and Fixarra on their disposal of a 90% interest in the Rathcool Energy Portfolio (wind).
- The Irish Government (through the NewERA unit of the NTMA) on the sale of Bord Gáis Energy (UK/Canadian buyer).
- The Irish Government in respect of the ESB acquisition of Northern Ireland Electricity.
- EirGrid on its acquisition of System Operator Northern Ireland (SONI).
- Dalata Hotel Group on its €455m reverse takeover of the Moran Bewley Hotel Group, its acquisition of the Choice Hotel Group, and the acquisition of the Burlington Hotel business and subsequent relisting.
- Acquisition of Ardmore Film Studios/Troy Film Studios by Hackman Capital Partners.
- The management team of Mercury Engineering on their management buy-out of the business.
- Irelandia Aviation on its disposal of its interests in low cost carrier airlines Viva Aerobus (Mexico), Tiger Airways – by way of IPO (Singapore), Allegiant Airways – by way of IPO (USA) and on its outright acquisition of Viva Colombia (Colombia).
"Understands the commercial issues and he is thoughtful, reflective and calm." (Chambers Global 2019)
"Exceptional lawyer with great commercial and legal abilities...his knowledge of technical and commercial realities is very strong." (Chambers Global 2018)
"A very experienced lawyer. He displays very sound judgment and commercial understanding.” (IFLR1000 2018)
"Top-class for capital markets...very accomplished, very articulate: good commercially and technically. Very calming, competent, a good communicator, efficient and proactive." (Chambers Global 2017)
Paul has written articles and contributed to international publications on Corporate Governance, Corporate Law in Ireland and Mergers and Acquisitions. He is also a regular speaker on those topics. Paul is a former Vice-Chair of the Corporate and M&A Law Committee of the International Bar Association and a representative member of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- BCL, University College Dublin