Philip is Of Counsel with A&L Goodbody's Tax Department. He practices all areas of Irish taxation law, specialising in contentious tax matters, M&A and structured finance transactions. Philip has extensive experience in advising multinationals investing in Ireland, advising clients on the tax aspects of inward investment projects and on the establishment of Irish operations across a wide variety of industries.
Areas of Expertise
- International clients in relation to tax appeals before the Tax Appeals Commission.
- Domestic and international clients in respect of the exercise of Revenue powers, tax audits, and the regularisation of tax matters by way of protective voluntary disclosure.
- Greencoat Renewables on the acquisition of An Cnoc Wind Farm.
- Investec on the sale of their Wealth & Investment business to Brewin Dolphin.
- The sale by Achmea BV of the Friends First Group to Aviva.
- CPPIB on its acquisition of Shell's interest in the Corrib Gas Field.
- Cushman & Wakefield on its acquisition of Sherry FitzGerald's commercial property business.
- Several international and domestic financial institutions on Irish tax matters relating to RMBS, CMBS and CLO securitisations, repackaging programmes, and a variety of structured finance transactions.
Philip tutors and lectures in tax law and business law at the Law School of the Law Society of Ireland and has lectured for the Irish Taxation Institute's capital markets certificate course and for the Law Society's diploma in corporate law and governance. He was a contributing author to Capital Taxation for Solicitors, an Oxford University Press/Law Society of Ireland publication. Philip is a former Vice President of the Tax Law Commission of AIJA (Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats). He is also an associate of the Irish Taxation Institute and a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales (non-practicing)
- BCL, University College Dublin
- PDA, Dublin City University
- Associate of the Irish Tax Institute
- Trust and Estate Practitioner