Joe Kelly is a Partner in A&L Goodbody's Disputes & Investigations group. He has developed a strong litigation practice in the Commercial Court and co-leads the Fraud & White Collar Crime Group. He advises clients involved in regulatory investigations and/or prosecutions brought in the criminal courts. He is a lead adviser to financial institutions and automobile companies in relation to recent high profile investigations in Ireland. In addition, Joe co- heads A&L Goodbody's boutique Gaming and Betting practice.
Areas of Expertise
White Collar Crime/Financial Regulation/Betting, Gaming & Licensing/Arbitration - International & Domestic/Financial Services Litigation/Tribunals of Inquiry/Disputes/Investigations
- Motor vehicle companies in dealing with an investigation into emissions and related litigation.
- International technology companies in dealing with regulatory investigations.
- PTSB in advising and assisting with its response to regulators and dealing with litigation arising from an investigation into mortgage lending.
- Finance company caught up in lending under investigation by the Criminal Assets Bureau.
- A leading charity in dealing with a cross jurisdictional regulatory investigation including the U.S., the U.K., Turkey and Syria and involving the Office of the Inspector General (OIC) in Washington.
- A major European bank in responding to a cross border money laundering investigation.
- A leading pharmaceutical company under investigation by the Health Products Regulatory Agency (HPRA) and advising in relation to interviews under caution.
- Both domestic and international corporations under investigation by the revenue authorities and working with other law firms and forensic accountants in Ireland, France and the USA in managing issues arising.
- Companies and executives in relation to “dawn raids” on their premises and to the homes of executives, in connection with regulatory and other investigations.
- Clients under investigation by the FBI, the FDA and the US Department of Justice, and working with US and other overseas lawyers in such investigations.
- On the renewal of approximately 25 online bookmaker and betting intermediary licences pursuant to the Betting (Amendment) Act 2015.
"He is calm, measured and has a good sense for a commercial solution" (Chambers Global 2021)
"A decisive lawyer with clear decision-making skills. He provides great context to any situation; he has usually seen it before, so nothing fazes him." (Chambers Global 2020)
Joe has been recognised as a Thought Leader for Investigations (Who's Who Legal 2020)
"Global Elite Thought Leader 2020" – Entertainment. (Who's Who Legal)
Joe is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Irish Branch, and is a practicing Arbitrator. He is a founder member of the Irish Commercial Mediation Association and is a practicing Mediator, having been involved in approximately 50 Mediations to date. Joe is a former chairman of the Law Society's Arbitration and Mediation Committee and a former member of the Law Society Criminal Law Committee. He is also on the Law Society of Ireland Panel of Mediators. Joe is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law, one of the leading international organisations in the Betting & Gaming industry.
- CEDR qualified mediator
- Qualified Arbitrator, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- LLM, University College Dublin
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- Dip. EU Law, University College Dublin
- LLB, NUI Galway
- BA, NUI Galway
Partner, Disputes & Investigations