Brian McDermott is a partner in the A&L Goodbody Asset Management & Investment Funds group. He has extensive experience in the structuring, establishment and authorisation of all types of investment funds including UCITS, AIFs and non-regulated funds. In addition to advising the promoters and investment managers of such funds, he advises fund investors, fund directors and fund service providers on relevant Irish law, regulation and market practice. Brian also advises on all aspects of the regulation of asset management and fund servicing activities in Ireland including the establishment and authorisation of investment managers, fund servicing operations and UCITS and AIF management companies.
Areas of Expertise
Financial Solutions/Asset Management & Investment Funds/Financial Regulation/Finance/Corporate Secretarial Services (Funds/Asset Management)
- Irish Property Unit Trust on the establishment and authorisation of IPUT plc, the first Irish internally managed alternative investment fund under the AIFM Regulations and the provision of ongoing advice to IPUT plc.
- Various institutional investors on their proposed investments in Irish fund structures, including assisting in the negotiation of the terms of their investment.
- Canaccord Genuity on its umbrella UCITS platform including the establishment of their first Article 8 sub-fund and in relation to their UCITS management company.
- A US property manager on the structuring and establishment of an ICAV which was designed for European pension funds and institutional investors to invest in the case of one sub-fund in Irish property and in the case of another sub-fund in European property.
- Coutts & Co on the application of its ESG investment strategy to sub-funds of its existing UCITS ICAV and the launch of several new sub-funds which were used as receiving funds for a number of fund mergers between existing Irish and UK funds.
- Horizon Kinetic on the establishment and authorisation of a UCITS exchange traded fund platform and its initial active ETF strategy.
- A large Swiss multi-national on the establishment of a range of Irish funds including a unit trust and a CCF for investment by their worldwide pension funds.
- Acting as director, and chair, of a number of fund management companies and fund vehicles.
"Incredibly commercial and always provides practical and considered advice" (Chambers Europe 2023)
"Extremely knowledgeable and responsive." (IFLR1000 2022)
"Brian has extensive knowledge, is considered and clear with his advice and always offers a pragmatic solution to matters." (Legal 500 2022)
"He is extremely knowledgeable, clear, considered and approachable. He has got his finger on the pulse at the highest level. He has seen it all, and he is able to draw on that experience in his advice." (Chambers Europe 2020)
Brian has served as a member of the Council of Irish Funds, the Irish fund industry’s representative body. He also sits on, and previously chaired, the Irish Funds’ Legal and Regulatory Committee which he has been a member of for a number of years. He is also a former member and co-chair of the International Bar Association's Asset Management & Investment Funds Committee and regularly attends and speaks at international conferences and other industry events. He is an Associate of the Irish Tax Institute. Brian is also a patron, and a member of the Disbursement Committee, of Basispoint which is a charity established by participants in the Irish funds industry.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- LLM, European University Institute
- BCL, University College Dublin