Peter Maher is a Consultant with A&L Goodbody's Tax Department. As a former partner, Peter is widely experienced in every aspect of tax work, with particular emphasis on cross border corporate transactions, tax planning and controversy work.
Areas of Expertise
- Multiple technology and pharmaceutical companies in the restructuring of their supply chains.
- Various private equity funds and hedge funds in establishing asset acquisition platforms in Ireland.
- A technology company in a tax appeal relating to the non-discrimination article in a double tax treaty.
- Global Indemnity on its re-domestication of the Global Indemnity group from an entity incorporated in Ireland to an entity incorporated in the Cayman Islands.
- Pfizer on its proposed $160bn merger with Allergan.
- Medtronic on its $49bn acquisition of Covidien.
"Thought Leaders Global Elite 2020 – Corporate Tax" (Who's Who Legal)
"Global Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year." (International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2013 and 2015)
"He has always been top-class." (Chambers Europe 2020)
"Recognised as Global Elite Thought Leader in Corporate Tax" (Who's Who Legal 2020)
Peter is a former Co-chair of the Taxes Committee of the International Bar Association and of the Irish Chapter of the International Fiscal Association. Peter lectures regularly including at various IBA, IFA and ABA tax conferences and has written extensively including contributing chapters for The Inward Investment and International Taxation Review by Law Business Research and The International Comparative Legal Guide to Corporate Tax by Global Legal Group. He is also one of the contributing editors of Tax on Inbound Investment (Getting the Deal Through) by Law Business Research and one of the two Irish contributors to Tax Management International Forum.
- Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
- B.Comm, University College Dublin