Johanna Cunningham is an Associate in A&L Goodbody’s Employment team in Belfast. Johanna advises public and private sector employers on the full spectrum of employment law issues.
In particular, she has comprehensive experience advising on the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions, day-to-day employee relations issues, redundancy exercises and reorganisations, and defending claims in the Industrial Tribunals and Fair Employment Tribunal. Johanna recently undertook a secondment to CitiGroup Global Markets Limited to assist the Employee Relations team with investigations in respect of grievances and disciplinary matters.
In addition to core employment expertise, she also has a thorough understanding of data protection law and regularly provides advice and training to employers on handling subject access requests, dealing with data breaches and drafting data protection policies.
Johanna delivers bespoke seminars to clients and corporate organisations, including the Chartered Accountants Ulster Society, Invest NI and the Institute of Directors, on a range of employment and data protection matters.
Areas of Expertise
- Northern Ireland Water on the full spectrum of employment-related issues including both contentious and employee-relations matters.
- Mzuri Group Limited on its acquisition of several businesses including: TCMM, Purely Shutters Limited and Ascend Digital Solutions Limited.
- Culina Group Limited in relation to a collective redundancy exercise in Northern Ireland.
- CitiGroup Global Markets Limited on conducting employee investigations and disciplinary, grievance and appeal processes.
- BDO Northern Ireland on data protection matters.
- Northern Ireland Housing Executive on the implications of TUPE in re-tendering exercises.
“Johanna Cunningham has provided invaluable support”. – Legal 500, 2021.
Employment Lawyers Group (NI)
European Employment Lawyers Association
CBI Future Leaders Committee Member
Contributor to Lexology and Legal Island
- Solicitor, Law Society Northern Ireland
- LL.B Hons