Andrew Ion is a partner in A&L Goodbody's Real Estate department and has wide ranging experience across the commercial property sector. He acts for domestic and international investors, financial institutions, commercial landlords, tenants, receivers and other clients on a variety of transactions including: commercial and residential development, multi-family / Private Rented Sector (PRS) / Build to Rent development, student housing, property finance and secured lending (including forward funding arrangements), commercial leases, and more generally the purchase, sale and general management of property and loan portfolios.
Andrew also sits on our ESG and Sustainability Partner Steering Group and advises clients on green leasing, green loans, building certifications and all other all aspects of ESG and sustainability as they relate to real estate investments and assets.
Areas of Expertise
- Oaktree/Targeted Investment Opportunities in the sale of the grade A office block known as "76 SJRQ" in Dublin's South Docklands, a transaction which was noted in the "Top 10 commercial property deals" in the Irish market in 2021.
- Glenveagh Living on the sale of Castleforbes Business Park to Eagle Street Partners, a transaction that was noted as the biggest development land sale in the Irish market in 2021.
- AM alpha on the acquisition of Nutgrove Retail Park, Dublin 14.
- Glenveagh Living in relation to the sale of the planned 262-bedroom Premier Inn hotel at its Castleforbes development in the Dublin docklands to Union Investment, a transaction which was structured via a forward funding arrangement.
- eir on the €300m sale of its masts business to Phoenix Towers International.
- Scape in relation to the acquisition, development and management of a student accommodation scheme on Aungier Street, Dublin 2.
- Glenveagh Homes Plc on the acquisition of many development sites and on its Firm Placing and Open Offer; a transaction which raised €213m.
- APG and Hines on the acquisition of Cherrywood Town Centre, a new residential and retail development in South County Dublin.
- AIB in connection with the refinance of a portfolio of eighteen hotels, restaurants and licensed premises.
- Hibernia REIT in relation to the property aspects of its dual primary/premium listing on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges and its equity fundraising.
- Cerberus on numerous disposals of development land, hotels, retail and office premises.
- NAMA on a multi-million Euro property joint venture and acting for receivers and liquidators in relation to the sale of various properties and portfolios.
"Andrew Ion and his team are extremely capable of dealing with the most complex transactions. Their professionalism and dedication are admirable and provide a 5-star service." (Legal 500 2023)
"Andrew Ion is strong technically and pushes hard to get matters completed. Very personable, engaged, with a strong grasp of the commerciality of the deal." (Legal 500 2023)
"Andrew Ion understands his client and can debate all sides of an argument. He is a consummate professional and never fails to meet expectations. Skilled, rational and commercial." (Legal 500 2023)
"Andrew Ion is an exceptional lawyer – he is very personable and the kind of lawyer you can pick up the phone to and work through a problem with easily." (Legal 500 2022)
- LLB, Edinburgh University
- Diploma in Legal Practice, Aberdeen University
- Graduate Diploma Law, Nottingham Trent University